Society Budgets


Where does the money come from?

We get a budget from the College Union as part of their obligation to fund non-academic activities in college. It allows sports and societies to pay for things like equipment, league fees, speakers etc.

The Senior Treasurer of the College Union is Dr McShane. He has the ultimate say over what gets allocated to individual societies and also what gets paid out.

As the Junior Treasurer of the College Union, it’s my job to process requests and claims from both the JCR and the MCR.

What’s the catch?

Because the money comes from College – a registered Charity – there are a few restrictions on what the money must be used for:

  • The College Union does not cover expenses such as garden parties – your subject DoS has his/her own fund provided by Tutorials to pay for events like these.
  • The College Union will not subsidise or purchase personal items such as stash. All kit purchased using Union money must belong to the club/society, not to individuals.
  • The College Union does not fund formal dinners for Queens’ members or for their guests.
  • New societies are given start-up money, but may not have been given as much as they requested. Should the society be successful this year, there will be room for negotiation next year.
  • The College Union does not pay for alcohol, either for speaker meetings or dinners.

You also need to make sure that you submit receipts or invoices for every claim you make. I cannot (and will not) sign cheques when I don’t have a receipt in front of me. No exceptions will be made for any society, irrespective of size.

How can we request money?

To request a budget for the 2015/16 Academic Year, go to and make your request before 5pm on Friday 16th October 2015.

The more detail you give about what the money will be used for (proving you haven’t just plucked the figure out of nowhere), the more favourably the request will be considered.

If you don’t currently have access to the society that you want to submit a budget for, you can request to be added. I’ll try to approve these as soon as possible but please don’t leave it to the last minute!

What happens next?

Based on what has been requested, the total amount allocated to us by college and previous years budgets, the Senior and Junior Treasurers will make allocation decisions. It’s normally not possible to give every society all the money they request but we’ll try our best. We aim to notify everyone of the allocation by the 23rd October 2015.

How do we make a claim?

To make a claim, please put the receipt / invoice in my pigeonhole (Kharma, N) with a note explaining:

  • Your Name
  • The Society
  • Which category the money should come from
  • Who needs to be paid? Am I paying the invoice off for you or do you want reimbursement for it?
Remember, I cannot sign a cheque unless you give me a receipt. There are no exceptions.