General Health

All students get ill from time to time.

Support is available from the College Nurse. You can go to her with any physical or mental health problems, emotional issues, general health concerns, sexual health advice and supplies, or referral to another medical service. Please see below for her details. Your Tutor, the Porters, Welfare Adviser or the Chaplain may also be able to offer information should you require it.

Fortunately, Cambridge also has a very wide variety of pharmacies, GP (Doctor) practices, dental practices, a Counselling Service and Addenbrooke’s Hospital nearby (for emergencies or when referred there by your GP)

The college nurse

The nurse at Queens’ College is Mrs Alex Green. Drop-in sessions are 8:30-9:30 am on weekdays in the college health centre on the corner of BB and CC staircases in Cripps Court. There’s also welfare and counselling drop-in session every Wednesday from 5 to 6 pm.

This is a ‘drop-in’ service. There is no need to call in advance, though if you prefer to arrange an appointment then please
 Telephone: 01223 335578

During vacations and in exam term opening hours will vary, please email first or look for notices posted on the door.

Outside these hours and at weekends, in special circumstances, it may be possible for a Tutor or the Duty Porter to contact Emma on your behalf.

Registering with a GP
Every student is encouraged to register with a local GP (General Practitioner/Doctor) surgery on arrival in Cambridge. Lists of GPs should be distributed to you in freshers’ week, or you can look online here, using your accommodation postcode to find the nearest one.
It is recommended you register in the first few weeks, as it is not uncommon for students to become ill soon after arrival.

Health costs
Both home and international Cambridge students, and their dependents, are entitled to free healthcare provision from the National Health Service, so visits to your GP and emergency treatment at Addenbrooke’s are free. Students are not, however, generally exempt from paying prescription charges, dental or optician’s costs unless they are under 19 years old. Students 19 or over can only get free prescriptions if they have a Certificate of Exemption. These are available to some students on the grounds of low income. All home and overseas students can apply for financial help with NHS prescriptions, dental treatment, sight tests and glasses using the HC1 form. Click here for further information and to order an HC1 form.